In the event you reside alone, you might be concerned about getting a serious hypoglycemic reaction whilst you’re sleeping. Your very best bet would be to monitor your blood glucose levels prior to you visit sleep and sometimes throughout the evening. In case your blood glucose level is dropping, consume a little snack prior to going to sleep. Attempt mixing uncooked cornstarch in to the snack or consume a item that consists of slow-digesting carbohydrates. Lots of people who take insulin are in a position to decrease their danger of nighttime lows by switching to an insulin pump.
If you’re prone to hypoglycemia, you will have to train somebody you trust to inject glucagon. Speak for your provider about whether or not you need to purchase a glucagon kit, that is accessible by prescription. Ask your members of the family or buddies to discover how you can use glucagon, so they know what to complete.
How to Inject Glucagon
- Typically, glucagon kits are brightly colored and include step-by-step instructions.
- A glucagon kit has a syringe filled with diluting fluid and a bottle of powdered glucagon. You must mix the diluting fluid with the powder immediately before it is injected. The instructions for mixing and injecting glucagon are included in the kit.
- Inject glucagon into the buttock, arm, or thigh.
- Turn the person on his or her side so if there is vomiting, he or she will not choke.
- Feed the person with appropriate carbohydrate immediately when he or she wakes up and is able to swallow. Start with nondiet soda, juice, glucose tablets or gels, and then additional carbohydrate.
- Verify blood glucose. When the individual doesn’t wake up inside 15 minutes, contact for an ambulance. The dose might be repeated following 20 minutes.
- Usually contact your provider and emergency personnel when a serious reaction happens in order for assist to arrive and suitable care to become administered. Ask for directions on emergency procedures whenever you get the prescription. Study the directions that include the glucagon and share them with buddies, family members, and coworkers.
- Kits generally final a year prior to expiring (verify the date around the box). Nevertheless, premixing the glucagon and diluting answer will make the mixture final only 48 hours within the refrigerator.
Usually let your wellbeing care providers know when you have taken glucagon and had a serious hypoglycemia episode. Also, inform them if you’re getting frequent bouts of even mild hypoglycemia. By operating with each other, you may discover a pattern inside your insulin, meals, or activity routine that might be causing the hypoglycemia. With clues, you as well as your wellbeing care group can do some issue solving and determine on modifications to stop serious hypoglycemia.
Tell a Friend
Either you or perhaps a member of one’s wellbeing care group ought to instruct family members, buddies, or coworkers concerning the indicators of serious hypoglycemia-and what to complete if it develops.
Pregnancy and Severe Hypoglycemia
Numerous pregnant ladies, who’ve intensive blood glucose objectives, might encounter hypoglycemia unawareness. Therefore, they’re much likely to possess mild and moderate bouts of hypoglycemia. Pregnant ladies ought to maintain up a constant blood glucose monitoring routine and verify their blood glucose when hypoglycemia is probably (in between meals and within the middle from the evening). You have to treat any blood glucose level beneath 70 mg/dl. You will need to take unique precautions if you’re pregnant and turn out to be unconscious.
Treating Severe Hypoglycemia during Pregnancy
- You may need only half the normal dose of glucagon at the beginning of a severe episode of hypoglycemia.
- After 15 minutes, if you do not regain consciousness or your blood glucose levels do not rise, you need another shot and someone should call 911 for emergency help.
- Make sure that those with whom you spend time know that you are pregnant and know what to do if you have a low blood glucose episode.
- Ask your health care provider about the dose of glucagon you need.